Our Aims & Principles
Transition Town Tenterden: Our Aims
Our core purpose is to mobilise and facilitate community action in order to respond effectively and positively to climate change and peak oil. We do this by:
- Raising awareness and understanding of the issues of climate change and peak oil
- Providing a framework for an effective response to climate change and peak oil.
- Working with people and groups already engaged with these issues ,and creating and devloping new groups to tackle new projects.
- Empowering people in the Tenterden area to respond positively to climate change and peak oil
Tenterden will become cleaner,greener, less wasteful and more resouceful. A world using less energy and resources will be more resilient, more abundant and more pleasurable than at present
The principles that guide the way T3 works are continuously developing and evolving. Currently, they are:
- We work together because we know that together we are greater than the sum of our parts. We work in a collaborative way because we get better results for less effort.
- We don’t need permission to act. There is no hierarchy. Individuals in T3 take responsibility for their own decisions, actions and results. Responsibility and leadership for T3 are also shared by everyone.
- We trust that those who step forward have good intentions and will make good decisions. We give autonomy and support to those who wish to be part of T3.
- We are accountable to ourselves and to each other in keeping with the T3 purpose and principles.
- We are transparent in everything we do.
- We don’t have a blueprint. We believe in multiple paths, ideas and possibilities. We think questions are as important as answers. It’s fine to make mistakes and learn from them.
- We are open to working with everyone. We welcome diversity and see it as a strength
- We recognise that we are all teachers and learners. We value both the professional and the practical.
- We acknowledge other initiatives and seek to find ways to collaborate and further the aims of T3.
- We give what we can and ask for what we need.
- Individually and as a group we work on the things we enjoy so that we do them well.
- We work with a natural momentum, driven by our passion and positive approach.
It is everyone's responsibility to ensure the free flow of information and knowledge around the network.
- We all consider the effects of our actions on our public reputation.